United Way has become a trusted voice for our communities across Canada to influence and shift public attitudes, policies and systems. We have a long history of non-partisan engagement with all levels of government to advance issues of relevance to the charitable sector and our communities.
Key issues United Ways are advocating for in our communities across Canada include:
- Poverty reduction
- Homelessness and affordable housing
- Early childhood development
It’s easy to participate in your community when you feel passionate about a cause and participating is very rewarding – even the smallest efforts can make a big difference!
You can act by:
- Telling us and others in your communities about the change you want to see to make your community a better place for everyone.
- Contacting your local United Way to learn more about the public policy and advocacy work they are doing in your community.
- Writing to your government representatives – a Member of Parliament (for issues that would impact the whole country) or a Member of Legislative Assembly (for issues that would impact the province you live in). Each time a MP or MLA hear about an issue, they are more likely to make action on it.
- Reading about the current activities happening within the non-profit sector in Canada.